Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Yummy and Healthy Vegetables


I have found a new favorite way to eat vegetables. I used to love to steam them. Now I am roasting my vegetables.

Here is how I do it:

Preheat oven to 400 F. Pour a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl and sprinkle in some salt and pepper (the amount of olive oil and salt and pepper depends on the amount of veggies you are roasting). You want just enough oil to lightly coat the vegetables.

Put whatever raw vegetables you choose in the bowl in bite-sized pieces. I have tried broccoli, mushrooms, and carrots so far. After coating the veggies in the oil, salt, and pepper mixture, lay them on an edged cookie sheet on the top rack of the oven. The roasting time depends on the vegetable. My mushrooms and broccoli took only about 20 minutes where the carrots were not as tender as I would like after that same amount of time.

After you remove for the oven, you can sprinkle them with any other herbs and spices. I put a tiny bit of parmesan on mine and they were incredible! You could use red pepper for a bit of a spicy kick, or garlic or even onion powder. Some of those seasoning blends might be really good too (I intend to try that next).

Share your recipes if you try this. I’d love to know what you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment